After its formation in 2000, BNP Paribas decided to create a Bank Shareholder Liaison Committee to help the Group improve communications with its retail shareholders. At the Shareholders’ Meeting that approved the BNP Paribas merger, the Chairman of BNP Paribas initiated the process of appointing members to this committee, which was fully established in late 2000.
Chaired by Jean Lemierre, it includes ten shareholders who are both geographically and socio-professionally representative of the retail shareholder population, along with two employees or former employees.
Each member serves a three-year term. When their terms expire, announcements are published in the press and/or in the Group’s various financial publications, inviting new candidates to come forward. Any shareholder can become a candidate.
At its last meeting in September 2018, the members of the Liaison Committee were as follows:
- Jean Lemierre, Chairman;
- Adrien Besombes, resident of the Indre-et-Loire department;
- Michel Cassou, resident of the Tarn department;
- Catherine Drolc, resident of the Herault department;
- Laurent Dupuy, resident of the Alpes-Maritimes department;
- Francois Ferrus, resident of Paris;
- Francoise Mahieu Germain, resident of the Yvelines department;
- Andre Peron, resident of the Finistere department;
- Dyna Peter-Ott, resident of the Bas-Rhin department;
- Jean-Pierre Riou, resident of the Loire-Atlantique department;
- Jean-Jacques Rohrer, resident of the Hauts-de-Seine department;
- Philippe Tassin, BNP Paribas employee, resident of the Oise department;
- Christine Valence, BNP Paribas employee, resident of Ile-de-France.
In accordance with the committee’s Charter – i.e. the Internal Rules that all committee members have adopted – the committee met twice in 2018, on 30 March and 21 September, in addition to taking part in the Annual General Meeting and attending the Actionaria shareholder fair.
The main topics of discussion included:
- BNP Paribas’ ownership structure and changes therein, particularly among retail shareholders;
- proposals submitted to “Cercle des actionnaires members”;
- the draft 2016 Registration document and Annual Report;
- quarterly results;
- initiatives taken in preparation for the Annual General Meeting;
- the Bank’s participation in the Actionaria shareholder fair. At this event, several Liaison Committee members explained the role played by the committee to people who visited the Group’s stand;
- BNP Paribas’ activities in Domestic Markets, presented to the members of the committee by the Deputy COO responsible for this business line;
- Group Communication, presented to the committee by the Head of this central function;
- BNP Paribas Cardif;
- Company Engagement;
- Cyber security.